Great Reads!

button

Followers

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, March 4, 2013

Motivation Monday and Make-Up Musings


I hate my scale, I really do. I know I say that and I know that I need to stay off of it everyday but I can’t. It’s an addiction. I have been disappointed in the scale, but what I discovered over the weekend made up for it.

 

Yesterday, I climb up in the attic to see if by some miracle I could wear some of my “skinny” clothes from 3 years ago, Last time I did this (back in September) nothing even came close. However, for once I was rewarded with success. Almost every pair of size 12s, I brought down fit (snugly, albeit)!!!! I also went shopping on Saturday and purchased new size 12s and several new tops. I have been feeling down in the dumps about my clothes lately, so I decided it was time to refresh the closet. I know I am not at my “goal” size or weight, but sometimes you need a new “pretty” to keep you on the right path!

 

 

There has been some discussing about make-up amongst my friends, how much, how often, natural or not? Here is my take on it. When I was heavy, I took way more time with my hair and make-up. Why? Because I knew that a pretty face and a head full of perfectly coiffed hair is a good distraction from a plus size body. Also, hair products and make-up do NOT come in plus sizes. Everyday for work I would apply concealer, foundation, foundation powder, eyeliner, blush, 2 or 3 shades of eye shadow, mascara, lip liner, lipstick, and lip gloss. On the weekends to grocery shop I would probably do the same, but maybe not as much on my eyes. For dates, I would glam it up with red, red lips. I would say it took me about 2 hours to get out the door.

 

My first realization came when I decided to start taking care of my skin. I have abused my skin in the tanning bed and the sun for years, so when I turned 30 you could really see the sun damage. I started using serums and moisturizing, religiously. I also switched to a real “cleanser” not just the random bar of soap in the shower. As my complexion improved, I realized I didn’t need the liquid foundation anymore, so I just did mineral powder. I started losing weight in 2009 and the more weight I lost, the more make-up I stopped wearing. The healthier I ate, the clearer my complexion became. Healthy really does show in every part of your being.

 

I was truly floored by the compliments I would get, not just about my new shape, but my skin, and my naturally curly hair. Once, I realized I looked just as nice without the make-up I pared my routine way down. Now, I simply don’t have time. I like to sleep way too much to devote that much time to my face. Do I deserve it, yes, do I want to, no. I like the way I look. I take care of my skin, I wash my face twice a day, I use anti-aging serums, I moisturize, and I use sunscreen. As far as the make-up goes, I wear loose tinted powder, one shimmery eye shadow, eyeliner, mascara, and a nice neutral lip gloss. I will wash my hair, throw some mousse in it, and let it dry. On date nights I doll up, with more dramatic eyes and I straighten my hair.

 


I feel like since I am thinner I do not have to hide behind fancy hair and make-up. I feel like people see “me” not a put-on face. That being said, if you have the time and the make-up makes you feel good, then do it! However, just go one day with the minimum you can stand to walk out the door with, you might be surprised at how people react.

1 comment:

  1. You look gorgeous! I'm still at the "cake-my-face-with-makeup" stage but I hope to be where you are someday. :)
    www.runninglikeamother.com

    ReplyDelete